- Parallel and distributed computing,
- Wireless Ad-Hoc/sensor/mobile networks,
- Cooperative communication and cognitive radio networks
- Bioinformatics Computing
- Algorithm Design and Analysis,
- Computational geometry,
- DNA computing,
- Graph Theory
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Cooperative Wireless Communication and Networked Method for Spectrum Sharing and Interference Reducing – US Air Force, 2010 – 2012
- Bioinformacis and Computational Bioinformatics – NSF, 2011 – 2014
- Subspace Segmentation for High-Dimensional Data Analysis – NASA, 2012 – 2015
- IBM Faculty award, 2011.
- TSU reaserch award, 2006.
- Most outstanding faculty award, College of Engineering in TSU, 2012
Wireless Sensor Networks – Lectures at SMU
This course is designed to introduce the graduate students in the College of Information Engineering at SMU to the fundamental issues in wireless sensor networks. Students are demanded to learn how to design and maintain a wireless sensor network for real applications. Topics include: cross-layered design of wireless sensor networks; networking architecture, routing protocols and algorithms; resource allocation and optimization, cryptography and sensor network security, cooperative communication and networking; cognitive radios and sensor networks.
Always ask the questions: why? how? when you don’t understand. Always ask your self that can you design a betterscheme, g protocol, algorithm, architercure than the exisiting one?
- W. Chen, L. Hong, “Cooperative MIMO paradigms for cognitive radio networks,” submitted to IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, April, 2013.
- J. Uchida, I. Muzahidul, Y. Katayama, W. Chen, K. Wada, “Construction and Maintenance of A Cluster-based Architecture for Dynamic Radio Networks,” Proceedings of the 39th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences , pp.1-10, 2006
- W. Chen, H. Miao, F. Gregory, “Multiple-Optimizing Wireless Sensor Networks with MIMO Technology,” Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Networks, WORLDCOMP, 2008.
- W. Chen, M.A.K.M. Islam, M. Malkani, A. Shirkhodaie, K. Wada, M. Zein-Sabatto, “Novel Broadcast/Multicast protocol for Dynamic Sensor Networks,” Proceedings of International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), pp. 1-8, 2007.
- W. Chen, H. Miao, W. Koichi, “Autonomous market-based approach for resource allocation in a cluster-based sensor network,”Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Multicriteria Decision-Making, 2009.
- L. Hong, W. Chen, “Information Theory and Cryptography based Security Scheme for Cooperative MIMO networks,” submitted to Ad Hoc Networks, ELSEVIER, 2012.
- W. Chen, H. Miao, L. Hong, S. Zein-Sabatto, H. A. Adas, K. Suzan, “Distributed Resource Management and Parallel Routing for Data Acquisition in Heterogeneous Sensor Networks,” Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Sensor Networks and Application,2009
- 1.J. Uchida, W. Chen, K. Wada, “Acknowledged Broadcasting and Gossiping in Ad Hoc Radio Networks,” Journal of Theoretical Computer Science, No. 377, pp 43-54, 2007.